Japan’s TOPPAN Gravity Partners with Ethiopian Government to Launch Security Documents Printing Plant

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

On May 8, TOPPAN Gravity Ethiopia Share Company (TOPPAN Gravity Ethiopia), a collaboration between TOPPAN Gravity Limited (TOPPAN Gravity) and the Ethiopian government, marked a significant milestone with the groundbreaking ceremony for a new passport manufacturing and issuance plant in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Established in July 2023, TOPPAN Gravity Ethiopia was formed to spearhead the production and distribution of passports, IDs, driving licenses, and other governmental documents. TOPPAN Group holds a majority stake of 51% through its UAE-based subsidiary Gravity Group Ind. L.L.C, with the Ethiopian government holding the remaining 49% through the Ethiopian national printer and two other entities.

With a history dating back to its founding in 1900, TOPPAN Group has provided government IDs for over 40 countries, leveraging its extensive experience in security printing. The joint venture with the Ethiopian government reflects TOPPAN Group’s commitment to delivering comprehensive passport and ID issuance solutions, including data registration, database management, and business process outsourcing.

Utilizing TOPPAN Group’s expertise in security printing and data processing technologies, the new facility aims to support Ethiopia’s infrastructure development while creating employment opportunities in the country. As African nations experience population growth and economic expansion, there’s a growing demand for solutions that facilitate citizen data management and access to public services from birth registration onwards.

Looking ahead, the establishment of the manufacturing plant in Ethiopia is the first step towards TOPPAN Group’s broader ambition of offering government ID solutions across the African market. This initiative aligns with the government of Ethiopia’s efforts to tailor operational designs to local needs through the formulation of passport and ID regulations.

About TOPPAN Gravity: TOPPAN Gravity, a subsidiary of TOPPAN NEXT, serves as the international development arm of TOPPAN Group in the security domain. Leveraging TOPPAN Group’s extensive expertise and market position, TOPPAN Gravity focuses on developing cutting-edge virtual and physical security solutions for the payment and identity industries.

About TOPPAN Group: Established in Tokyo in 1900, TOPPAN Group is a leading global provider offering sustainable solutions in printing, communications, security, packaging, décor materials, electronics, and digital transformation. With a workforce of over 50,000 employees worldwide, TOPPAN Group delivers optimal solutions to address diverse challenges across various sectors and contribute to shared sustainability goals.

Related Posts