GIVE - SUPPORT EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES IN NICARAGUA
ABREN is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit that receives all of its funding from grassroots fundraising. Because the administrative costs are covered by the volunteer work of the ABREN board, 100% of these funds go directly to Nicaragua. You can make your tax-deductible donation via PayPal or send a check to: ABREN at 534 Georgia Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94306.
WHAT WE ACCOMPLISH IN A YEAR
Our current yearly budget is $28,000. With this money we are able to:
- Run the county's only library, serving over 300 children, teens, adults and teachers monthly. This is the only place students of elementary age through university can consistently find the information that they need for their studies. In addition, they know that our kind and knowledgeable staff will support them to not only find the information they need, but to understand it as well.
- Provide a quality preschool education for 70+ students ages 3-5. Our preschool is recognized as the best in the county and includes a popular parent education component.
- Support 50-70 students in attaining academic excellence in our daily afterschool tutoring program. Students are organized by grade and get specific help with each night's homework. In addition our program teaches general study skills in the areas of literacy, math and science.
- Run our Teacher Resource Center that provides direct support and training to 40+ teachers. Because of this program 900 students now have access to quality literature and math materials in their classrooms.
- Purchase 300 new books for our Teacher Resource Center and library.
- We offer a supportive work environment that honors our employee's creativity, intelligence, educational pursuits and family committments. We provide employment to 4 full-time staff members and internships to 6 university students. With ABREN's financial support both of our head librarians have been able to pursue their education. Irma completed a 5 year course of university study in education, graduating at the top of her class! Nolvia bravely returned to highschool and completed all 5 years of study in just 3 intensive years. Shs is now working towards receiving her official teaching credential.